Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Feldenkrais Update

We did a little bit of Feldenkrais last year. Then there was a big break--partially because we were busy, partially because it's expensive, and partially because I wasn't sure if it was worth it. I thought our practitioner "Mr. Keith" was good, but I wasn't sure if that's where we should spend our time and money.

We decided to revisit Feldenkrais right before and right after E's lengthening surgery last November.

And we're still doing it.

WE'RE COMMITTED.

It's not like some magic switch...but I feel like our "regular" PT (a mix of CME and traditional PT) and Feldenkrais, post-lengthening, really have come together in this "perfect storm", where E's some sort of super sponge and new things are happening all the time. We do F'krais 2x/week (Mondays and Saturdays). Elena loves her time with Mr. Keith. And while she doesn't come out of each session magically running around as if she didn't have CP--we see changes. So does Keith.

If you're not sure what a F'krais session looks like, Keith prepared these videos. It's great commentary, and every time I see something like this...I'm reminded of a little girl, who could barely stay in a sitting position, and who stood literally on her (right) ankle--instead of the bottom of her foot.

Ball Toss


Standing


As always, thanks Mr. Keith!

2 comments:

Katy said...

We did Feldenkrais twice a week for a year and a half. Now we do it once a week because I'm starting to slow down at this point in the pregnancy and it's a long drive.

I absolutely never have any idea what's going on in a session, but I see consistent results with our combo of Feldenkrais and ABR. I see Charlie imitating moves he did in FK, so while I don't know what the heck is going on, it does seem to be helping.

Amy said...

Yeah, dido! I don't know what is going on either. Sometimes I think about quitting the Feldenkrais because of that. To be honest, it doesn't really look like much is going on, but then Emma seems to incorporate things along with the ABR later. So, we keep going. Good to hear that I am not the only one who doesn't always get what's going on.