Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Growth

Well, still trying to catch up with life, here. Between school, therapy, Daisy scouts, traveling, soccer, ballet, friends--oh, and the work/home/life juggle, I've barely had any time or energy to update.

E is growing. Currently, she six years old (closing in on seven), about 35 pounds and 41(?) inches tall with her shoes on (she's a 5th percentile girl). She'd graduating to a new pair of Kiddiegaits (coming soon) and she's ecstatic about her new shoes--they're extra lightweight, and are black with pink accents. This is a big change, as she's had the exact same model for three years. She's happy about having new choices.

She's also graduating to a new pair of crutches. These are Easy Walks--she'll get the same model, only one size up.

I don't have to tell some of you that spasticity and growth spurts don't mix.

I dug out her knee immobilizers (from 2 years ago)--she wasn't excited, but tolerates them (a little)


But you know what? I feel like this hasn't been that bad. Elena is very mobile, and has a pretty good attitude most of the time when it comes to stretching or trying something new. We still struggle with the same old stuff--standing tall, putting her heels down, trying not to crouch--but in all honesty--for all the changes going on (physical as well as social and academic), things are going very well. I can say this was not the case in previous years. Either we're doing a good job of keeping on top of things, and/or SDR (?)/lengthening procedures (?) have really made all the difference when it comes to growth and spasticity.

Here's E at PT last week--great walking outside! Stopping is still a huge issue, but with any luck, we'll get there!



3 comments:

Amy said...

Awesome, as usual! We have definitely had our battles with the spasticity and the growth spurts. He has done some weird stuff to Emma's right hip, for sure. We are working in that, but it is a constant race against time for us.

Elena is just amazing!

Anonymous said...

HI AMY
ELENA WILL LOVE THE WALK EASY CRUTCHES.. THEY ARE SO LIGHT WEIGHT.. I HAVE A PAIR AND I LOVE THEM,,

WHY WOULD YOU USE HER KNEE EMBOLIZER NOW?

MELISSA

Anonymous said...

I don't know if an immobilizer is a good idea. As I grew(especially through puberty) if I kept one of my joints still it only made the pain of growing worse. Joints aren't really designed to be still by nature. In my experience stillness heightens spasticity. I'm not a doctor through of course. Walk Easy crutches are awesome! I have foldable forearm crutches from walk easy.