Thursday, March 22, 2012

An Emotional Week

E went on a school field trip last week. I asked her to tell me about it when I got home from work--she was very, very tired, but managed to tell me she enjoyed the trip, and that she walked the whole time (rough terrain, historic site, lots of grass/cobblestone/steps/etc.). I was happy on both counts.

Then I got a more complete picture.

Without going into too much detail....the terrain was too hard for E. She couldn't keep up with the class, and basically arrived at the end of the talking points at each location. She didn't have a great seating arrangement at lunch, and hardly ate a thing. Her feet fell asleep and hurt on the bus ride home b/c of a different bus carseat.

At that moment, I realized that my hope--no, my expectation, that Elena would need her current mobility devices or less as she gets older--was wrong.

And while it might not be a great device for her last field trip, it's the only choice that makes common sense.

Elena needs access to a wheelchair.

So we got one.

4 comments:

Josephine said...

I know that's a tough decision, it was for us too. But it has turned out to be a hugely positive thing for Avery. Elena needs to know that it's nothing to be ashamed of. She is awesome, and has worked so hard. I hope she loves her wheelchair xx

Joy said...

I know this is hard, but it will open up whole new worlds for her, and give her more energy to hang out with her peers and just be a kid without working so hard all the time just to keep up.

Anonymous said...

AMY.. THAT BRINGS BACK SO MANY MEMORIES FOR ME AS I HAD A HARD TIME KRRPING UP AS WELL AND GOT EXHUASTED.. WHEN I WAS E'S AGE I DID NOT HAVE A WHEELCHAIR, BUT I AM GLAD THAT I DO NOW SINCE I CAN NOW DO THINGS WITHOUT GETTING SO TIRED!! IT MAKES A WORLD OF DIFFERECE...

HOW DID YOU GET ONE SO QUICKLY?

MELISSA

Just the Tip said...

My heart strings are tugging for you and E. That must have been a hard decision but please don't feel like it's moving backwards. Hugs.