Sunday, April 29, 2012

School Field Trip

I have a lot to catch up on, so this will be brief. I went on Elena's last field trip--it was to the farm belonging to one of E's PE teachers. The plan was for a nature hike (!), and a tour of the farm animals, and to learn about plants and watersheds. Elena's group went first on the nature hike. I tried to hang back, to see how E navigated in a group in difficult terrain.
This is about how far back Elena stays as the group moves. The terrain was difficult; there were flat parts, but it was thick with leaves and branches that you had to step over. Elena fell only once. Interestingly, she didn't choose to start to follow the group until they were at least 15 feet ahead. I wondered if that was why she was always so far behind--but I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I was there, and she wanted to stay close to me. I had brought the wheelchair and the beach walker--the two best mobility tools we have to handle difficult terrain. Well, they can't handle a farm. The absolute best mobility option for Elena is her crutches. Well, halfway through the hike--at the bottom of a "loop" path, down a hill no less--Elena ran out of energy. I wondered what would help her...my best guess was a seat to rest (which was not an option). I ended up giving her a piggyback ride back. A pack animal (or human) was the next best option out there, save a Segway or a mini-ATV. After a break, she was fine and independent for the rest of the trip. It was very, very educational to see E's dynamic in a group of peers--she tends to stay back for safety (getting knocked over in a huddle)--but starting so late after the group leaves is something we need to work on. E's teacher told me she doesn't do this all the time, so I think it was my presence that kept her back further than usual.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THAT BRINGS BACK A LOT OF MEMORIES FOR ME.. I OFTEN HAD A HARD TIME KEEPING UP AND I WOULD RUN OUT OF ENERGY AND NEED A REST ALSO..

THERE HAS TO BE A HAPPY MEDIUM SOMEWHERE

MELISSA