Sunday, August 23, 2009

At the pool

We met E's Bright Stars teachers one last time before the start at school. It was a pool play date. I begrudgingly agreed to try a different style of life vest (this one belongs to our main PT). Turns out, this one was a GREAT success! It gave E more confidence in the water. She still has trouble righting herself in the water, but I let go of her for 6-10 seconds and she could stay more-or-less straight up in the water.



One thing I have been working on with E when we "swim" (and at yoga, actually) is E's ability to really stretch out her arms. She can do it when reaching for a toy or coloring, but when her hands are above her head (or when she is in water) she really "shortens up". She also has a hard time relaxing her shoulders, but I don't know how to make her aware of that. Anyway, with the life jacket on and the cue "reach for my belly button", she not only reached her arms out all the way, but she could kick while doing so, which is a pretty big deal.

1 comment:

LynneF said...

Hi - Elena is darling and I'm happy to be visiting your blog. Thanks for responding to my post about them!