Saturday, July 16, 2011

Eye Checkup and Playgrounds

Elena just had an eye checkup. While things haven't changed a lot, we did get some news. Elena's eyes still "drift". They have since birth, despite interventions (glasses, 3 surgeries). The good news--and the original goal of her surgeries--is that she has excellent vision in both eyes. Unfortunately, they do not work together consistently, so Elena's binocular vision/depth perception is unknown.

I asked our doctor--how would I know if Elena would benefit from another procedure? How can I tell that her vision is affecting her balance? He said if Elena had consistent problems clearing steps (which she kind of does, but I think it's more of a muscle coordination thing) or rounding corners (nope) or getting food on a utensil and into her mouth (nope), grabbing toys or pencils or cups (nope) . I said I didn't think her vision was the big problem with her balance, and Dr. P agreed with me. My hope (now that E's eyes are confirmed to be healthy individually) is that she will be able to read without too much fatigue or pain from using her eyes together. So far, this hasn't seemed to be a problem.

For right now, E will keep her same prescription in her glasses. She may have another surgery to try to straighten her eyes--but the gains from this potential procedure would most likely be minimal optically, and more for cosmetic reasons.

After our appointment, I took the girls to a well-loved playground. I've filmed E here before. It's covered in small pebbles, and the wooden play structure has lots of holes, large steps, and ladders to climb on. I've had to guard Elena very closely in the past. E is taller and stronger now--but also just better able to use her body. Look at her go!!





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI AMY WOW THAT IS QUITE AN IMPROVMENT.. IT MOST BE NICE FOR YOU NOT TO HAVE TO BE SO CLOSE BEHIND HER, AND TO JUST WATCH AND LET HER PLAY!!

MELISSA

Cary said...

WOW! That's just amazing to me! I was amazed by her walking on pebbles the most, I think...although sliding on her bum is impressive too!

Amy said...

WOW! I love it all: walking on pebbles, catching herself, maneuvering that obstacle thing, and the sliding!!! Impressive, indeed!! I would love to be able to stand back and watch Emma play like that and to be able to photograph or video her. That would be amazing!!

I love how cooperative and mature Elena is about helping you get good videos. I can tell that she was impressed with her own walking skills. I love how she is like, "ready?" when you were taping the walking. What an awesome kid!!

Not sure if you have one up yet or ready to go, but I would love to see a video of Elena walking on the flat in those Kiddie Gaits--whenever you get a chances. That would be so awesome.