Monday, June 30, 2014

Summer Start-Up: Massive Recap Edition

We've been busy here!

We said goodbye to third grade.  We are still waiting on results from Elena's SOL tests; she took it paper-pencil (instead of computer).  It has to be "hand-scored"; regardless, I don't know why it is taking so long for us to get her results.  Her attitude was good (which is really all I cared about) and I am glad they are over.  We were really looking forward to summer break!

Viv and I "sunbathed" while we waited for E to get off the bus

Water fight!

We went strawberry picking!  We look forward to this every year.  Unfortunately, we missed the major picking time (!) and ended up with only enough for eating (not enough to make homemade strawberry jam).


Berry Pickers

I went to Chicago for a long weekend.  I went to the Spring Awakening Festival with a good friend, and spent some time with my sister.  Vivian had a rough emotional time right before I left; she made me a card (before her hours-long meltdown) that said "Have a good time".  I brought it with me to show her that I was thinking of the family, and enjoying myself at the same time.


At Lake Michigan
At Yoga with Sis

Love The Bean


 Elena came home from week-long sleep away camp.  I know she had a great time.  I don't know exactly what she did, b/c the only thing she elaborated on was the camp songs.  At pickup, counselors that know me mentioned all the great things she did (climbed the rock wall without help, for instance) and we hear from time to time "I did that at camp" or "when I go next year".  So, I guess that was a win!

E and counselor Skyler

Elena had another gait lab done.  I haven't received the results yet, so those pictures will be in another post.  But, the hospital was moving into a new building, and they didn't want to haul everything--so they gave us a new stander.  I had to improvise a bit to get it working (and I think it's fine--we'll see).


Gecko--front view


Gecko--side view


Thanks to a recommendation from our PT, Elena is finally taking swim lessons!  Jason and I have been able to spend time teaching E a few things, but it is difficult for E to build on a skill.  As in, she can kick fine, but as soon as you add arms (or blowing bubbles) her form falls apart and she sinks.

E's lessons are in the warm-water pool at our gym.  They are private lessons; very expensive, but I think it's money well-spent.  She is teaching E skills and giving her a LOT of confidence in the water.  Elena has been able to practice her skills in the neighborhood pool, which is outdoor (cool water--she is more tight than in the warm pool).  Being able to move more freely in the outdoor pool is new for us.  Also, since Elena (and Vivian) can now comfortably stand in 3 feet of water (standard pool depth), this means neither child needs a hulking adult presence when they are playing with peers.  That's a big deal.


Patient Megan






With me home, we go to the pool several times a week.  It's really been wonderful.

Pool cuties


 And that's just the beginning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the big recap! Elena's trouble with form while swimming has to do with something called "proprioception" the brain doesn't know how to control the 2 halves of the body at once in CP. I have the same type of CP as Elena and swam the same way as her at her age. Then I finally learned that I could breathe into my diaphragm and use my breath to control my core muscles and stay afloat on my back that way. It's kind of tricky but building Elena's core muscle will remove some of the crouch your seeing. I see that she is tight but it is not too bad. I don't know if I like standers but at least she is aligned in it. Amazing that she has finished 3rd grade. You go E! Can't wait to hear the gait lab results.

Anonymous said...

HI AMY... A WHILE bBACK YOU USED THE TERM CROUCH GAIT THAT TERM CAME UP IN MY LAST SPASACITY APPOINTMENT. WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MANAGE E'S SPASACITY? I WOULD BE INTERESTED TO KNOW CURRENTLY I AM DOING BOTOX AND I STAND TALLER BUT THAT'S ABOUT IT. IT HAS NOT LOOSENED THINGS ON THE RIGHT SIDE THE WEAKER SIDE BUT HAS MADE A DIFFERENCE FOR THE LEFT SIDE THAT IS ALOT STRONGER AND IF I COULD GET OFF OF MY TOES I WOULD BE HAPPY

MELISSA