Wednesday, November 19, 2014

November in a nutshell

I know I have been writing a lot about Elena's crouch, and surgery ideas, things like that.

I see it constantly--but there are so many great things that are going on right now--if you took a snapshot, really, the crouch/surgery/doctor things are the only real negative.  And that's pretty darn good.

Both E and Viv are doing well in school.  Report cards came out last week.  Jason and I were astonished at E's grades--she got three As and two Bs--and one of her As was in Math!  She has really been applying herself--and it shows.  We are so proud of her.  Vivian is simply rocking kindergarten and she loves it.  We are so proud of her too.

Drama Club is also going well.  The director tells me how well Elena is doing every time she sees me.  They are just starting blocking the show, so we'll see how that goes.  The Tea Party will probably be Elena's easiest part, as she'll be seated for most/all of it.  I love the way the director is finding ways to work with and around Elena's disability.  She also has her costume--we need to be sure it fits, but I think it will work beautifully!  E carpools with neighbors in the play after rehearsal, which is another opportunity to be around her peers.  It really is quite nice.

I've volunteered for some after-school sessions with siblings of Drama kids--it's a great way for Vivian to have playmates, and I bring building toys, games, and snacks to try to keep the kids happy. We are all really enjoying it, and I get to meet other kids and sometimes their parents.

We have a nice schedule of school, Drama, therapy, homework, playtime, bedtime on school days.  On the days off, we plan something fun--last weekend we met up with a friend of my parents who is an amateur astronomer (Elena is studying space right now!) and he taught them all about the moon, eclipses, star systems, telescopes, and gave them some fantastic pictures he's taken of distant galaxies and time-lapse photos of the lunar eclipse.  It was so awesome.  The weekend before that, we had a great afternoon with family friends (our kids are the same age and just love each other). This weekend E is going to a big game day at our friend's house--she'll be the only kid there, but I think she'll do just fine.

So, in a nutshell, life is really really good right now.

This month is just flying by...I need to get our Holiday cards started.  I guess that's up next!

No comments: