Monday, February 8, 2010

Rockering Live

In case you're not sure what rockering means, here's a pretty good example.

We've been working on strengthening E's ankle muscles with the hope she can dorsiflex better, with the hope she'll be able to walk without her AFOs on someday. Here's what it looks like now--note that she still drags her toes (it used to be her entire top of her foot last year), and that as long as she walks slowly, she can get her entire foot flat on the ground sometime during her stride. This flat portion of the stride is very new (hadn't happened before her SDR operation). You can also see how badly broken down her arch is--"rockering"--in the rear view video (do I even call this an arch? I don't know).

Keep in mind one of her hands is along the wall, and I am holding the other.



2 comments:

Cary said...

WOW! She's doing awesome! And barefoot!

I've only been following your blog for a few months. And would love more details on how SDR was for E...when, where, results, etc.? Do you have blog posts detailing it all?

Anonymous said...

HI AMY I WAS WATCHING THE BAREFOOT WALK AND MY WALK IS SIMILAR I AM A LITTLE MORE STEADY (I THINK) BUT I TOO WALK TOE TO HEEL.. MY FOOT WILL ALSO GO FLAT IN PART OF THE STRIDE.. ALTHOUGH, I WILL SAY IF I TRY TO WALK ANYWHERE WITHOUT MY BRACES(AFO'S) THEN MY FEET GET REALLY SORE.. IN MY NEWEST SET OF AFO HE MADE THEM MORE RIGID AND BUILT UP THE ARCH SUPPORT MORE SO I MUST NEED IT.. WE WERE TOLD WITH A TOE TO HEEL GAIT THAT THE BRACE IS NEEDED TO PROTECT FOOT STRUCTUR.. WHEN SOMEONE IS TOE TO HEEL THERE IS TOO MUCH PRESSURE ON THE TOES AND LATER COULD RESULT IN PROBLEMS WITH BONES IN FEET ECT

BTW I THINK ELENA IS DOING GREAT I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING FOR MORE THEN A YEAR

MELISSA

P.S I USE CAPS BECAUSE ITS EASIER TO READ AND TYPE WITH