Friday, December 10, 2010

Casts Off!

E got her casts off today!

In a nutshell...the results are amazing. Fantastic. INCREDIBLE. No, she's not jumping around or doing the moonwalk--but her range of motion is pretty darn good, and she isn't as weak as I thought she would be after being in casts for three weeks.

Here's a video a half hour before casts are removed:



Waiting for the saw

Ta-Da!!


INCISIONS

After her feet were (finally) washed, the doc checked her out and then we all stood there while E walked away with her crutches (and AFOs and shoes). E's feet were DOWN. Solid. I was shocked. I think we all were, a little.

E had a PT appointment a few hours later. The doc said we should keep her AFOs on for PT for a few weeks, b/c he doesn't want too much strain on her ankles until she's a bit stronger. No prob. Theresa sort of "took stock" where E was--and wow, was she impressed. We all were!

Squat-to-stand (very little help here)--E has noticed she doesn't "teeter" as much, as her feet can stay on the ground while she stands up.



Walking



Slalom Walking (WOW!)



Walking back to the other room, at the end of PT (HEEL STRIKE!! WOOOOO!)



And then walking to the car with her crutches--HEEL STRIKE, RIGHT AND LEFT!!



I was ELATED. This was just a few hours after getting her casts off...I mean, what will she be like after months of therapy? This is like a brand new start. I feel so strongly that 2011 is OUR YEAR--as in, walking. Carrying a liquid in a cup? Moving backwards? Stepping out of the bathtub? Being able to walk (in any way) at the pool? Getting on the bus herself? Picking up and putting away toys? Hey, maybe even RUNNING. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but seriously, she looks THAT GOOD to me. Such a small change in her structure makes a GIGANTIC difference!!!

9 comments:

GingerB said...

Delightful news! I will check back to see if you've posted the video. Way to go E!

Anonymous said...

WOW AMY
I AM NOT ABLE TO NOTICE THE SMALLER STUFF(VISION) BUT WHEN I SEE THE BIGGER SHOTS THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.. I NOTICE SHE IS A LOT STRAIGHTER WHEN WALKING WITH CRUTCHES.. AND THOSE FEET ARE FLAT WOW!! SHE SEEMS AS THOUGH SHE HAS BETTER BALANCE!!

MELISSA

Valeria said...

She is amazing!!! You are amazing!!!! Good job!!!! Happy to see all improve!!!!
Valeria

Cary said...

That is simply amazing to watch! Way to go E!!!!!

carol said...

The heel strikes in the parking lot...WOW

Great job E!

Earl's Nana

Anonymous said...

She looks great! I'm so glad you are so impressed with the results. Although O is younger his results are great too and I can't wait to see what next year will bring for him as well! ~chelsea

AZ Chapman said...

she is doing great sorry I have not sent u pic once we do our chrismas photo I will putit in the mail

Kat said...

Go, Elena!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I am so pleased for you both! Congratulations on the rewards of all the work you have done! Barbara