Sunday, December 5, 2010

Don't worry Mom...I got this

Well, E's had her casts on for over two weeks--and she's doing awesome. She hardly complains about them, even though I know they are not comfortable. She's using her crutches now, and cruising around the house (ADD VID HERE). She's also taking some independent steps across the room.

She doesn't walk with her right foot "flat"--she never has, really. But sometimes I see the "swing" of her step, where her foot is straight at the knee before she puts her foot on the ground--that's new. I'm trying not to get too excited about it, though...I know there will be weakness post-surgery/post-casting.

And she's a lot more confident every day. I had the both kids on my own a lot last week, at appointments--which was scary, as Vivian doesn't stay with me/listen very well, and E needs close supervision too. Well, I carried Viv and tried to "spot" E as we walked a good 200 feet into a building, on cobblestone, while E used her crutches, and it was freezing outside. I was worried about her; I didn't want her to fall.

"Mom, you take Vivian. I got this."

She sure did, too; she walked the whole way, certain steps (even in her casts), and never teetered. It's been like that since last Wednesday. We're also back to our bedtime routine, and even though E wants me close, she is settling in well to our successful regimen. Things are just great!

This week is huge: E has her eye appointment (we've known she needs a new prescription for months, but we couldn't get in any sooner--and the doc is worth the wait), and she gets her casts off.

3 comments:

Mo said...

This doesn't surprise me... E's "got it"! ;0)

Sarah said...

Sometimes you just have to go for it. And it sounds like E did, for sure.

Anonymous said...

HI AMY IT SOUNDS LIKE THINGS ARE GOING REALLY WELL FOR YOU AND ELENA.. THAT'S AWESOME!!!! 2 YEAR OLDS CAN BE A RIGHT HANDFUL!!

MELISSA