Sunday, October 9, 2011

At the Zoo

A few weeks ago Jason was out of town, so I took the girls to the National Zoo with my parents. Last time we went (years ago), it rained horribly and I was still nursing Vivian. This time, it was supposed to rain also--but the rain never came, the crowd was thin, and all the animals were out!!

Riding on the little bear


Following the Elephant Trail (this was their favorite!)




I think they are looking at meerkats


Butterfly Garden


We found a wild lizard (escapee, maybe?)


My Dad got lots of great pictures of animals (does your kid have a favorite? If we have a shot of it, we'll send an e-card!). Vivian recognized many species, and really enjoyed the elephants. E liked the lions (8 older cubs!), the reptile house (she loved to find all the camouflaged animals), and the otters. While we were watching the otters, a young family approached us with their daughter as they helped her out of her strollers--"Hey, we have the same shoes!" (SureStep AFOs). Their little girl was younger than Elena, but many similarities were there. It's always nice to see parents that "get it".

One thing I don't get, though, on a trip like this--TRANSPORT. I am always wondering the best way for E to get around places. In our case, the ideal method of transport is our (used) sit-n-stand. It's our go-to option when we have both kids--Elena can't fit in the front seat, so she gets the "big girl seat" in the back. It's easy for E to get in and out of, and she can kneel or sit or stand while we move around. But what do I do when Viv is too small for the front seat? Elena is proficient in her crutches, and getting better all the time...I want them to make a sit-or-stand where BOTH seats are sit OR stand. That would be perfect for the next few years.

Our expectation is that when going to a large park (like the zoo, or amusement park) E would use her crutches--and when she gets tired, take the train or skytram or something like that. I'm not completely opposed or ruling out a wheelchair or scooter, but they're so darn BIG I'm hoping we can just stay with the small/collapsable equipment.

3 comments:

Chelle said...

Hi Amy my Hannah is 8 and we use a step 2 wagon and it has two seats that might work for you guys..

Cary said...

Amy - just a question...how long can E go with her crutches before tiring? That is such a struggle for us...Ben always wants to walk, but we always have to lug a stroller as he tires so quickly. Do you do much work on endurance?

Anonymous said...

AMY I HAD ANOTHER SUGGESTION FOR YOU,, WHEN EKENA IS OLDER THEY HAVE SCOOTERS THAT YOU CAN GET AND THEY FOLD RIGHT UP IN THE TRUNK OF THE CAR.. THEY ARE VERY SMALL

AS CAREY STARTED BEN TIRES QUICKLY.. I CAN GO MAYBE 20-30 MINUTES BEFORE I GET TIRED.. SO MALLS AND BIG PLACES DO NOT WORK UNLESS I HAVE MY CHAIR, I RECENTLY ASKED WHY I GET SO TIRED AND WAS TOLD THAT IT HAS TO DO WITH THE NERVOUS SYSTEM AND CP.. SO THE SAME HOLDS TRUE FOR ELENA AND BEN..

MELISSA