Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Day in Gym

I took the afternoon off, to get some vital errands done before E's surgery the following day. One thing I really wanted to see was E in her gym class.

Her kindergarten class has PE 4 days a week. She has Adapted PE once a week (I think)-but even before being assessed for that, her gym teachers have always tried to have her involved as much as possible. E loves PE, and talks about her PE teachers almost every day.

The school PT suggested E get a gait trainer--it has been AWESOME!

E listening to the instructions for the PE game




It lets E try to stand alone, move in any direction, run, and use her arms. She fatigues easily. It's also obvious that lateral movement is not intuitive for her (moving sideways or stopping sideways)--but I can tell she LOVES having the chance to move like this.



What I most enjoyed watching was 1) how well E's aide is there when E needs her, yet she's practically invisible in terms of the kids doing the given PE activity and 2) how GREAT E's classmates are with her. They give her a wide berth, but also try to give her a chance to kick balls, throw balls, be in line...just be a NORMAL KID. It makes me tear up. Even though she's different, she's very much included. *snif*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THAT FACT THAT THE SCHOOL GYM TEACHER IS INCLUDING HER..(MOST OF THE TIME KIDS THAT NEED EXTRA HELP GET LEFY OUT..) THIS DEVICE MAKES IT EASIER FOR HER TO BE INCKUDED... AWESOME!

I ALSO LOVE THE FACT THAT THE KIDS ARE RESPECYFUL TO HER.. THAT MAKES SCHOOL LIFE A LOT EASIER...

THANKYOU FOR SHARING THAT

MELISSA

Kat said...

I think it's wonderful that E has PE at school. And her classmates are great. WTG!!!