Saturday, November 27, 2010

Post-Op: 9 days

Well, E has been making slow and steady progress. I was starting to get discouraged...E's been crawling and getting into chairs, but really up until today, she hasn't done much standing; zero walking, and no cruising. Well, today's different!

Yesterday E tried the treadmill. We spent maybe 5 minutes on it, and most of that was just trying to stand up tall.

Today, we did 20 solid minutes of walking and standing, where I was moving her legs slowly, and aiming for strikethrough with her right foot (this stride is typically very short) and it was well-tolerated. Elena was definitely gripping the handlebars tightly, and complained that "her hands hurt"--but she was also bearing weight in her feet, which was the goal. I stopped when she said she was done.



Later on that day, we went to work; E can't use her crutches yet, and we don't have a walker. Cue The Beach Walker! E even ran a little bit (on the "toes" of her casts). We got a "coffee" and then headed off to Feldenkrais.



E was pretty warmed up (and silly) by the time we got there, but she had a great time with Mr. Keith. We haven't been to F'krais for about a year. I like the way he's focusing his efforts on different parts of her body since her feet are in casts (today was mainly her obliques, I think--their recruitment for walking).

We had some friends over for dinner; all the kids played, and then we got ready for bed. Tonight is E's first night with casts, without Valium; so far, so good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI AMY.. ELENA LOOKS LIKE SHE IS DOING WELL... STANDING NICE AND TALL AND CRUSIN AROUND... YOU MENTIONED THAT SHE HAS A SHORTER STRIDE WITH THE RIGHT FOOT.. I THINK THAT IS TYPICAL WITH THOSE OF US WITH CP AS I TOO HAVE A VERY SHORT STRIDE WITH MY RIGHT SIDE AS THIS IS MY WEAKER SIDE...

IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY WHEN I HAD MY ACHILLIES TENDONS DONE IT WAS A WEEK BEFORE I WAS EVEN ALLOWED OFF OF THE COUCH!!

HOW IS ELENA DOING IN SCHOOL IS SHE AT SCHOOL NOW??

MELISSA

Kat said...

I'm so glad E is doing well and even started walking! Love the smile on her face on the second pic! :) (I hope Mr. Pink is doing well too ;))

Sarah said...

E looks great!

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed!

Congratulations to you both!
Barbara

Anonymous said...

Looks like your daughter is doing really great :). I love your blog and have found it very helpful even though my son is still an itty bitty baby.